Thursday, July 28, 2011

I Got Skillz.

  I made a new recipe for dinner tonight!  I was feeling ambitious, so I chose spinach and ricotta filled agnolotti with tomato basil sauce.  I don't even know how to pronounce agnolotti, but the recipe looked yummy, it was one that I've had bookmarked for quite a while, so in the spirit of renewed healthy eating, I gave it a whirl. 

   To start with, you have to wilt a bunch of spinach (which is actually really fun to watch... imagine the melting scene from the Wizard of Oz and replace the witch with a bunch of leaves).  Then you saute the spinach/wicked witch with onions, garlic and a bit of olive oil.  Then you take the whole thing, and puree it in the food processor.  The result looked a whole lot more like green baby puke than I was intending, but once you add the ricotta and other ingredients it resembled a nice pesto rather than infant bile, so I was willing to continue cooking... The next step is putting a dollop of the green goo in the middle of a wonton wrapper, folding it over and sealing the sides so the goo doesn't escape.  Repeat 34 times.  This is what the process looked like:


  When you are all done filling and sealing, you get a whole bunch of cute little triangles of joy!  This is just the first few, by the time I was done the whole cookie sheet was filled.


   Next, I made a super easy tomato sauce made of another drop of olive oil, a can of diced tomatoes, fresh basil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  Finally, I simply boiled the green joy triangles for a couple of minutes (I had two that exploded, but the rest survived), and viola!!!  Dinner is served!


  It was way more awesome that I expected it to be, considering the icky baby vomit resemblance from the puree-ing stage.  All in all, I can say that I will most definitely make this again (but maybe on a day when I have time to let them sit in the fridge for 2 hours to firm up... I'm thinking this is the cause of the two explosions...)  The best part is, they are super low cal.  Per serving, the stats are: 235 calories, 4.7g fat, 10.4g protein, 38.5g carbs, 5g fiber.
  
   This was the first recipe I tried from a cookbook that I think I stole from my Mom's bookcase a while back (sorry Mom!).  Its called Cooking Light, and it's a collection of their annual recipes from 1999.  A bit dated, but hey, still a yummy dinner.  It is obvious from this evening that I have mad skillz in the kitchen.  Bobby Flay had better watch his back. 

1 comment:

  1. That looks awesome!! High five!! We should have dinner dates together, go back and forth between our respective locales and cook healthy meals (we can add wine, right? wine is a health food). Yay!

    ReplyDelete